Independent Research: Music Experience and Behaviour in Young People

The University of Hertfordshire carried out research into ways in which young people aged 14-24 engaged with music.


How do the findings of this research compare to your own 'music experience' as a young person?

It is significant that over the past 3 years (2009-2011), with the continuing development of technology, the amount of people who consume music via computer has risen. However, recently, with technological convergence still advancing this will have changed because, in my opinion, it is more likely that people would use their phones to store or stream music. As it is now 2014, the numbers could have changed drastically with the use of CD players decreasing from 18%. Considering this, it means that CD's are becoming 'old fashioned' like records or tapes and it is another technological leap forward, with digital technology as the advancing point. 

- The computer is no longer their entertainment hub;

In the past 2 years it has been superseded by the mp3 player. 
65% listen to music on their mp3 player/iPod everyday. By comparison, and only 18% use their CD player on a daily basis.

As a young person, I listen to music on my phone (rather than my mp3 player/iPod) on a daily basis but also listen to CD's on a daily basis. This is because, I think that music on a CD is more accessible especially with unknown bands and artists who are yet to be established. Companies that sell CD's give the audience a greater opportunity to buy CD's, produced by these artists, rather than making their music as a downloadable format as it doesn't appeal to a majority group.

- Digital music collections still contain 50% free music

The average amount of digital collection that has not been paid for, is above 50% with the average amount of 'free' content much higher for males, being 60%.

I consume music in a variety of ways, including my phone, which admittedly I also fall into this category. I use sites where I have an awareness of what I am doing is illegal, but I continue to follow through with downloading the content. 

They have a clear understanding and grasp of what copyright law is.

The majority of people do understand this, and I as a young person too understand this. However, the content is easily downloaded and also 'free' which is what appeals to me as a consumer of music. 

This influences my music experience because what I download may not be an original copy and could be slightly changed and also the quality may not be of a good standard. However, I do still buy CD's to get the quality that I want and experience the music in a better way. 

'…their desire to get superior sound quality associated with the physical artefact' I, as a consumer, agree with this statement because the majority of people will want a better experience and the best quality possible.