Independent Research: Looking At Music Videos

These videos are collected from a site called Promonews which consists of new music and up and coming artists.

There are a lot of different types of music videos and the following is a 'Performance' based music video where the screen time is dominated by the members of the band. This music video is based off of creating the performance, so it would resemble a live piece. There are some parts where the video cuts off to other things e.g. director. The video is called 'Perfect' - Blitz Kids.

I like this music video because of the lighting effects that are used and also the simple backgrounds.  For example I think that the blue works really well as it looks more like a 'Performance' that is staged. As well as this there is a dominant use of lip syncing and for that reason, it helps me to see just how on-point it has to be for it to work effectively. I appreciate this as a media student because it helps me to see the relevance and importance of the technique. A similar video to the one below is 'I Want Out' - Young Guns. This video is very heavily a performance. However, the effects are maximised, distorting the band but heightening interest. Following the video are some screenshots from 'I Want Out'.


Young Guns - 'I Want Out'.

Young Guns - 'I Want Out'.

Young Guns - 'I Want Out'.

Young Guns - 'I Want Out'.

















































The following is a video called 'Way Down South' - The Young Folk. There are a lot of simple shots and many different camera angles and movements. For example there is a focus pull when 'the man' on the bench turns his head to the woman. Following this, there is a close up of her eyes, and the exposure is set very high, so that we can see the contrast of the colours. This makes the shot interesting and is also something that I may include in my own video.

The idea of the video is quite simple - but it draws in the viewers; shots, angles and movements are all simple but it works effectively. This simplicity is what makes the video successful as it doesn't need anything too drastic and it is not a 'Performance' based video but something more of a short film.




The next video is called 'Haptic' - Modifier. The video is contemporary, yet it gives me the impression of something that is classic and vintage. This could be due to the black & white effect but also the footage is matched to the pace of the sound - slow. Although it is more of a techno based piece, it still adds to that classical feel. There is a lot of depth to this video, as from the shot below, I can see that there is a shallow depth of field; the woman is in focus yet the background is blurred. 


'Memex' - Duologue includes a lot of different lighting effects but the video is kept mostly dark. This works and gives an eerie atmosphere, amplifying the song as it is discordant and distorted. Both lyrics and sound have effects added over the top of the original track as the song echoes. This can be compared with the song above as they both use the Black & White effect - but in different ways. The below is heavily dominated by the dark colours, whereas above it is brighter. However, 'Memex' uses the effect so that it has a greater impact as it helps to define the features and the images are a lot more defined. 


Below are some screenshots from the video 'Room To Breathe' - You Me At Six. This video also includes the Black & White effect. Also there is a lot of combination between the live stage and the performance of the song. From the screenshots I can see that at some points there is an overlap of both so that they blur and we, as an audience, can see both parts of the action going on at the same time.

You can see the reflections along the edges of the guitar. 

'Room To Breathe' - You Me At Six.

'Room To Breathe' - You Me At Six.
You Me At Six have also used a similar techniques in the music video of 'Cold Night'. However, this time the effect is in colour and there is movement in both pieces of footage.


There are things that I would like to test for my own music video e.g. using a green screen. The reason I have thought about this is because I would like to have a clouded background, with someone's head at the bottom and the lyrics appear, written, as the song goes along. Almost as if it is being written at the same time. But there would also be an element of performance so I can develop my skills in APP whilst using lip sync. In addition, I would also like to try to overlay two different pieces of footage as it could create an interesting effect, something similar to 'Room To Breathe' as I find their effect works really well.

Something different to all of the above is the lyric video for Skillet's 'Not Gonna Die'. This has a lot of animation and its really interesting how it is constructed and the way it is placed together.

Girl running from dragon.

Lyrics pop up on screen.

Her fight back against the dragon.

The dragon.

Gif to show how the animation works.


























































Something similar to this song is the animation for the following: SBTRKT ft. Ezra Koenig 'New Dorp New York'.

















This song is also heavily dependent of the animation. However, unlike Skillet, these artists don't use lyrics and the shots are smooth and flow rather than jump from one place to another.

The reason I have looked at Music Videos, new and old, as well as being world wide, is to broaden my knowledge with the different effects that I can use and also to help me develop ideas for my own music video. These have helped a lot because they are different styles and genres which in retrospect help me to determine the types of things I need to include in my own video.