Planning: Split Screen In Premiere Pro

Whilst looking for tutorials online, mainly using YouTube, I came across a video that teaches you how to do a split screen effect in Premiere Pro.

















This is the process of how to  do a split screen effect;

  • Import footage and audio and then layer the footage in the timeline.
  • Hide video layers 2 and 3.
  • Select layer 1 and go to Video Effects: Transform: Crop.
  • Drag the Crop effect onto the footage and enter Effect Controls.
  • Select Crop and toggle the Left, Top, Right and Bottom controls. 
  • Un-hide layer 2 and repeat steps 3-5.
  • Repeat steps 3-5 for layer 3.


I followed this video and then applied it for my own purpose of learning new effects in Premiere Pro and to expand my knowledge. I used some footage from YouTube to create my own version and the footage is below.  With this footage I had to enter Effect Controls: Motion: Scale so that the footage all fitted onto the screen.


















This video features many different shots of wildlife and the quality is good, so I figured to use this footage as a starting point. I followed the steps as shown above and then added the track 'Ones and Zeroes' as the audio.

The editing process of layering the videos and cropping them to fit. 

The effects control section where I have toggled with the options.

The actual footage using split screen.

Video effects control and adding the effect to the footage.

Adding the audio file to the footage.

Using a video/audio transition so that it is more smooth.

























































































Here is the finished piece;